Monday, October 17, 2011

Captain's Log: Stay at Martha's Vinyard

Finally have been able to get a good layout of the island and start to understand roads.  Basically you must learn landmarks and completely forget about street signs for assistance.  the hiking trails and maps are pretty much like the roads.  There are trails that are not on the map, trails on the map that do not exist.  roads that are called "trails" and trails that are called "roads". 

Hiking day 1 went out to explore and found a site on the map or an old sailor graveyard.  Went on the quest to find graveyard.  After 3 hours of exploring in torrential down pours I conceded defeat for the day and went home. 

Hiking day 2: I am determined to find the graveyard so came into trail system through a different route and using different map.  2 hours of looking and I still cannot find it.  It has now become an obsession!
Interesting fact I have discovered about trail maps that are posted on trail... Sometimes map is drawn with North being North on map, sometimes map is drawn with the direction you are facing being North on the map, and sometimes the map is a mirror image of what it should be.  All this time I have been looking for the graveyard to the north east and it is really on the north west of the trail... for those of you who do not hike... This is a big problem when looking for location.  Found where I though it should be right ahead but ran into a no trespassing sign and chainsaws in background.  Not a place I want to chance trespassing while I am out hiking alone.  Decided to come in yet a third route and FINALLY  I found it.  It was about 50 yards north of the no trespassing sign.  At this point I am breaking the rules and going on private property to get back home.  Guys with chainsaw seem to be busy and I think I can outrun them if they come after me. 

So after 7 hours of looking and now knowing almost every inch of the 300 acre reserve I have conquered the Trails in Wapatequa area!!!

Now the quest is to find out what happened here around September 22, 1898 to cause the bodies of 10 unknown sailors to wash up on the beaches of Martha's Vineyard....

2 comments:

  1. You're in Martha's Vineyard and not Fargo, ND right? ok, just checking. Still, I tend to agree on the no trespassing and chainsaw end. Tree chopping equipment is never a good sign.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you are having some amazing adventures!

    ReplyDelete